Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Babies in the Park





The Theodore Roosevelt newborn class of 2008. Spring is finally here!!! Things are starting to green up a bit, and the prairie babies are up and walking around. I saw my first bison calf last week and it was just born earlier that day. Someone said to me, "Mary... when did you become such a bison expert! How can you tell that baby was born today?" and I replied "Well I can still see the afterbirth hanging out of the mother's Orpheus." The one particular herd of bison took a liking to having their calves in the picnic area, I’m sure it’s safe to say that it isn't appetizing for the picnickers.
Other park babies are right outside my front door in the Badlands buttes, there are two Great Horned Owl chicks flopping around exercising their wings before they take flight. Also I have been watching the Golden Eagles nest in the park since I got here and it was the first time I saw the young ones. Because of my only 3X zoom I can't take any recognizable pictures of the baby birds.

No comments: