Friday, April 11, 2008

Custer State Park Wildlife encounters





As I said earlier the wildlife in Custer was amazing, and all of these pictures were taken from my driver’s seat. I encountered most of the wildlife along the Wildlife Loop... go figure. But I saw lots of other animals mostly birds that aren't posted. I saw herds, not flocks, herds of Wild Turkeys, but every time I tried to take their snapshot they bolted. Flocks of Dark-eyed Juncos littered the sides of the road and would fly on in front of you as you drove.

I saw White-tailed deer in the Black Hills portion of the park, and the Mule Deer with their larger ears and black dipped tip tail live mostly on the prairie. The Pronghorn is the smaller animal that is photographed; I really know little about this animal but hope to learn more at Roosevelt NPS. But now the crème-de-la-crème the American Bison, I was so ready to see one you these amazing creatures, but you never see just one of them. I saw hundreds and of course they were in the middle of the street blocking the way. They won’t move for anything, I had to drive around them. This one Bison just stared at me, and he is the one pictured above, and of course not being around people for awhile I talked to him, and I said "you looking at me" in a Deniro type accent. Of course he just stood there the whole time and I had to wait until he moved slightly so I could finally continue on my way.

No comments: