Friday, April 11, 2008

Custer State Park





Well Custer State Park beat out all the National Park sites for my favorite places I visited while on my road trip. Because it was still considered the "Winter Season" some roads were closed, along with ranger stations. So I didn't know where to pick up any hiking trails or even get a park map, so I just winged it and it was a blast. I didn't get a chance to see the famous Black Hills "Needle Eye" or visit some of the parks beautiful lakes, but now that gives me the reason to go back in the summer months and maybe drag someone along with me.

Custer State park encompasses portions of the Black Hills and then prairie habitat as well. It was ever changing from habitat to habitat, and even climate to climate. Higher altitudes were colder with snow, and the flatlands were breezy, pleasant, and snow free. The amount of wildlife I saw was unreal and it was all visible from my car. But since there was a lot of wildlife there also are a lot of the substances that come from wildlife, that’s right there was a lot of shit. You didn't have to worry about road kill at Custer State Park, you had to worry about terd kill. Its like the animals purposely crap in the middle of the street. It’s like the circus came to town and the clowns forgot the pooper scooper. I really wanted to see my first American Bison (aka Buffalo) in the wild, and I was getting pretty mad that I didn't see one at any of the other parks yet. But when I came to Custer I saw Buffalo chips (buffalo shit) everywhere, so I knew they were there, but where.... finally towards the end of my journey I started seeing herds and herds of them and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, but it wasn't the most pleasant smelling thing in the world.

No comments: